When I posted that I would be away from wordpress for a while, I was simply allowing myself a break and time to catch up with backlog of other matters, expecting to be back mid January. I had no idea of what lay ahead and certainly did not envision 3 months of hospitalisation, with most of that time unable to move.
- I missed a bottom step or two and crash landed.
- I dislocated my right ankle, with my foot hanging off the end of my leg. There were three fractures in ankle and leg. Eight screws and a metal plate were inserted a week later.
- The skin and flesh across the ankle died and needed surgical removal and a skin graft
- Amputation was avoided
- There were also a few bouts of tachycardia and atrial fibrillation
- There was almost no movement in the ankle joint
- Weeks of physiotherapy and rehabilitation followed and continues, now at home
The Lord is my strength and my shield.
My heart trusted in Him and I am helped.
Therefore my heart greatly rejoices
and with my song I will praise Him.
I am now “walking” with the aid of a wheelie-walker and can hobble around the house on my own. My right heel will not touch the floor and my right foot is unable to reach behind me, but I am able to ‘walk’ in shoes with a 5cm wedge heel. Thanks to excellent physiotherapists I am improving. I am using a splint with adjustable straps to tighten the ankle and pull the toes up and I am gaining some movement. I call the splint my torture device, but it IS working and I look forward to being able to walk and to drive again in the not-too-distant future.
Meanwhile, sitting with my leg down causes pain, so sitting at the computer is not advisable. However, I have missed my wordpress friends and hope now to be able to spend some time here via my old laptop.